Saturday, September 28, 2013

Walnut Cheesecake Squares


From the kitchen of One Bite...I have a weakness for cheesecakes. I love to eat them and I love to bake them. I find their tangy creaminess irresistible, and, save for brownies, I don't know a dessert that's easier to make. On the downside, they are calorie laden and commonsense dictates they not be eaten often. I've found it's possible to enjoy them a bit more frequently by exercising a simple form of portion control. Rather than make a cake, I make cheesecake bars or squares which, of course, contain fewer calories than a slice of the same cake would have. It works for me, though it took years to learn to stop eating with one piece. The cake I'm featuring today is a basic cheesecake flavored with vanilla and enhanced with a nut topping. These squares are very, very good. I know you'll like the ease with which they can be made and I suspect you'll find their taste most appealing. Here's the recipe.


Walnut Cheesecake Squares


Ingredients:


2 cups all-purpose flour


1 cup finely chopped walnuts


2/3 cup packed brown sugar


1/2 teaspoon salt


2/3 cup cold butter


Filling


2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened


1/2 cup sugar


2 eggs, lightly beaten


1/4 cup milk


1 teaspoon vanilla extract



Directions:


1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.


2) To make cheesecake base: Combine flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set half aside; press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.


3) To make filling: Combine cream cheese, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.


4) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.



One Year Ago Today: Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder



Two Years Ago Today: Cran-Apple Crisp


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Blueberry Cheesecake Bars - Good Thymes and Good Food


Smores Cheesecake Bars - The Sweet's Life


Cherry Cheesecake Bars - Baking and Boys


SopapillaCheesecake Bars- My Baking Heart


Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars - Life's Ambrosia



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy