Saturday, September 28, 2013

Upp?kra - Swedish Potato Cookies


There are certain foods that trigger memory and take from it the sights and sounds and smells of childhood and them drop them in the moment we call now. They are called comfort foods for a reason and one of my favorites is Upp?kra, or Swedish potato cookies. These are shatteringly crisp gems that are made with butter, potato starch and very little else. They have brown edges and, when properly made, will literally melt in your mouth. The potato starch gives them a slightly sandy texture that I find irresistible. I don't make them often because self-disciple eludes me and I can't limit myself to eating just one or two. I learned to make these in the Swedish kitchen of my childhood. While my teacher was patient in the extreme, the truth is this cookie is very simple to make. The challenge comes with shaping them and over the years I've changed the way I do it. While the recipe I am sharing today uses what I call a roll and press technique, I find it much easier to form this butter rich dough into a cylinder that can be cut to the desired thickness once it is chilled. A quarter of an inch is just about right. This is an adult cookie that is perfect with afternoon coffee or tea. It's not particularly pretty to look at, but it is truly delicious. While there are scores of recipes for Upp?kra, I hope you'll give this one a try. It's my favorite and makes cookies that will make your socks go up and down.


Upp?kra (Swedish Butter Cookies)...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Mrs. P



Ingredients:


1 cup butter, softened


1/2 teaspoon salt


1 cup sugar


1 egg


1 teaspoons vanilla


1/2 teaspoon almond extract


1 cup potato starch


1 cup flour


Directions:


1) Cream together butter and sugar in a mixer or with a pastry blender. Beat in salt, egg and vanilla and almond extract. Sift together flour and potato starch, then add slowly to butter mixture and beat until combined. Chill dough for about an hour.


2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.


3) Roll into small balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Press each ball gently with bottom of a glass to flatten to a thickness of 1/4-inch . Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans. Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are brown. Yield: 36 cookies.



One Year Ago Today: Green Tomato Mincemeat



Two Years Ago Today: Balsamic Onion Marmalade


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Sables with Apricot Jam - Taste Buds


Lemon Poppy Butter Cookies - The Dusty Baker


Vanilla Bean Sables - Stylish Cuisine


Almond Butter Cookies - Christine's Cuisine


Sandwich Butter Cookies - A Little Bit of Everything



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy