Saturday, September 28, 2013

Turkish Eggplant Stew with Tomatoes - Domatesli Patlican


Turkish appetizers, called meze, are delicious and can be be served hot or cold. The sheer number of them can overwhelm even the most adventuresome palates, but you would have been proud of me. I suffered for my art, and can happily report I entered and left the competition with my head held high and my reputation intact. You must understand that I eat anything that doesn't bite back, and swallow Imodium the way most folks swallow vitamins. The combination of the two allows me to eat street food and tackle two foot trays of meze with complete abandon. The stew I'm featuring today is usually served as part of a Turkish meze, though now that we are home I spoon it over rice and serve it as a light main course for lunch or dinner. I've found the flavor improves if the dish is allowed to sit for several hours before serving and I guarantee that those of you who enjoy ratatouille will like this dish as well. This is one of those dishes that has crossed borders and assumed the identity of the country in which it found itself. The Turkish version is easier to make than most, but it still retains bold flavor and keeps folks coming back for more. The Silver Fox loves to pile this on a baguette, while I prefer to heat it and serve it over rice. Either way, it is delicious and I know those of you who like strong flavors will enjoy it. Here's the recipe.


Turkish Eggplant Stew with Tomatoes - Domatesli Patlican


Ingredients:


2 medium eggplants, washed and peeled


3 tablespoons olive oil


1 cup chopped onion


1 teaspoon tomato paste


1 medium green pepper, chopped


1 teaspoon salt


1/2 teaspoon dried basil


1/2 cup tomato juice from diced tomatoes


1 (15-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes


1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Directions:


1) Cut eggplants in cubes and submerge in a bowl of salted water. Let sit for about 20 minutes and then rinse , drain and pat dry.


2) Saut

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy