Friday, September 27, 2013

Three Blind Mice AKA Baked Jalapeno Poppers


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Strange things happen when food bloggers are housebound for long stretches of time. The food they feature can get fringy and the names used to describe it can become downright silly. That would never happen here, of course. We strive to give the food we make, names that perfectly describe the dish that is featured. Now I know that the name of today's recipe seems strange, but if you take a good look at the accompanying photo I think you'll agree the title perfectly fits the subject. I'm featuring the mice today, because I wanted to make finger food for Sunday's game. I thought poppers would be a perfect addition to a spread that was starting to look a bit like old Mexico. Years ago, I'd deep fry poppers and everyone loved them. The trick here was to come with a version that could be baked but still retain the delicious crunch that everyone loved. With all due modesty, I have to say I was successful, but I was really disappointed with the anemic appearance of my poppers. The next time I make these I'm going to season and toast the bread crumbs before using them to coat the peppers. I will also remind myself that smart people wear gloves when they work with large numbers of hot peppers. The ingredients, particularly the seasonings, I used are meant to be suggestions. I hope those of you who are tempted to try this recipe will make it your own with herbs and spices that are to your liking. These are very easy to make and they can be prepared days before you actually plan to use them. Here's the base recipe.


Baked Jalapeno Poppers...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by the Savage Feast



Ingredients:


15-20 green jalapeno peppers


8 ounces or Neufchatel cheese, softened


2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, room temperature


2 teaspoons dried oregano


1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped


1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped


1/2 cup onion, finely minced


2 cloves garlic, minced


2 teaspoons of cumin


2 eggs


1/4 cup milk


1 cup flour


2 - 3 cups of breadcrumbs (fresh if possible)


Instructions:


1) Remove and discard upper third of peppers leaving stem intact. Remove ribs and seeds. Set aside.


2) Mix minced onions, garlic, fresh herbs, dried spices and both cheeses in a large bowl.


3) Fill each pepper with cheese mixture, mounding with a spoon.


4) Beat eggs and milk together. Set up a breading station with flour on left, egg mixture in center and bread crumbs to right. Lightly coat peppers with flour, dip in egg mixture and then coat liberally with crumbs. Place on paper-lined tray.


5) Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F until golden brown and bubbly. You can also bake them for about 20 minutes then freeze them. Frozen poppers can be reheated at 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes,or until they are golden brown. Yield: 15 to 20 poppers.



One Year Ago Today: Chocolate Peanut Clusters



Two Years Ago Today: Creamed Shanghai Bok Choy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy