Friday, September 27, 2013

Tapas-Style Spice-Roasted Almonds


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I almost always have a batch of these savory almonds in the pantry. I actually prefer them to the sweeter version I featured here several weeks ago and I think they are a wonderful, no fuss, addition to a cheese board. They are fashioned after the spiced almonds that are typically served as part of a Spanish tapas. There are hundreds of recipes for roasted nuts on the internet, so I am uncomfortable claiming that mine is original. I'm equally uncomfortable attributing this version to another source because the ingredients used here are to my taste and that of the Silver Fox. Almonds have been part of tapas menus for decades and roasted nuts have been part of bar menus since they were popularized at The Union Square Cafe here in the United States. To resolve the issue of attribution, I'm going to credit the tapas bars, or Spanish tasca, with initiating the service of nuts with drinks, and then give a nod to Union Square for making them more widely popular. I really think you'll love these. I use less butter and oil than called for in most recipes, and I try to moderate the heat by cutting back on the amount of cayenne pepper that is used. That makes for a snack that is neither greasy nor fiery hot and will appeal to a larger audience. In Spain, almonds are blanched and skinned before roasting. I haven't found that extra step makes a significant difference in the finished nuts, so I've eliminated it. I do hope you will give this recipe a try. It is one that can be easily modified to suit your taste. Here's how tapas-style almonds are made.


Tapas-Style Spice-Roasted Almonds...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite



Ingredients:


1 tablespoon butter, melted


1 tablespoon olive oil


1 teaspoon garlic powder


1 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika (pimenton)


1 teaspoon cumin


1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon cayenne pepper


3 cups whole almonds


Coarse salt to taste



Directions:


1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


2) Combine butter, olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, cumin , and cayenne in a bowl and mix well. Add almonds and toss to coat.


3) Turn almonds onto a cookie sheet and roast in a single layer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and salt to taste. Allow to cool before transferring to a bowl or plate for serving. Almonds can be stored for 2 to 3 weeks in an air-tight container. Yield: 2 cups.



One Year Ago Today: Roasted Brussel's Sprouts



Two Years Ago Today: Chocolate Chili with Black Beans



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy