Friday, September 27, 2013

Cranberry Upside Down Muffins


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I am often done in by my own expectations. That definitely was the case here. I was looking for a recipe I could use to replace a cranberry coffeecake that I've served too often and needed to replace. I wanted a recipe that used cranberries because they provide wonderful color for the red tables of Christmas and Valentine's Day. I chose this one because it was included in Gourmet's collection of 50 Baking Favorites and I expected great things. I'm sorry to report I got ordinary. While the muffins are not difficult to make, they simply are not worth the time needed to prepare them. I've since resumed the search for a cake or muffin to replace the cranberry cake I currently serve. I'll let you know when I find it. In the meantime, here's the recipe for a very ordinary, not too terrible muffin that you may, or may not, want to try.


Cranberry Upside Down Muffins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Gourmet 50 Baking Favorites


Ingredients:


2 cups cranberries, picked over and rinsed


1-1/4 cups sugar, divided use


1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg


2 cups all-purpose flour


1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder


1/2 teaspoon salt


1 large egg


1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled


1 cup milk


Directions:


1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter a standard size 12 muffin tin.


2) Combine the cranberries, 1 cup sugar, and nutmeg in a saucepan. Cook mixture over moderately high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, and boil it, covered, for 3 minutes. Simmer mixture, uncovered, stirring, for 3 minutes and let it cool.


3) Sift flour, baking powder, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt together into a large bowl.


4) In another bowl whisk together egg, butter, and milk.


5) Add liquid mixture to flour mixture, and stir batter just until combined.


6) Divide cranberry mixture among 12 muffin cups and top with batter. Bake in middle of oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until they are golden. Cool in pan for 2 minutes and then invert onto a rack. These biscuit-type muffins are best served warm. Yield: 12 muffins.



One Year Ago Today: Frozen Key Lime and White Chocolate Pie



Two Years Ago Today: Individual Baked Omelets



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy