Friday, September 27, 2013

Cornmeal Dinner Rolls


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've been testing a few recipes for new versions of soups and stews this week. I've also been looking for different breads or rolls that could be served with them. When I saw these cornmeal dinner rolls, I thought they'd be perfect to serve with the heavier winter meals I was testing. I made them tonight and while they are pleasant enough, I must confess they are no match for the "bread in my head." The reason for a less than stellar review is that the dough is wet and hard to work with. With patience it comes together, but, while the finished rolls are very nice, they aren't, in my opinion, worth the effort it takes to get them to the table. I made one other embarrassing discovery when I tasted them. I'd made them before. They are nearly identical to sandwiches rolls I posted earlier in the year. I had forgotten about them until that first taste, and, while you can't see it, my face is really, really red. At least I'm consistent in my criticism. The addition of cornmeal makes the rolls interesting and very moist. Here's the recipe for those of you I haven't scared away.


Cornmeal Dinner Rolls...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine


Ingredients:


2 cups whole milk


1/2 cup sugar


1/2 cup butter, cubed


1/3 cup cornmeal


1-1/4 teaspoons salt


1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast or 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast


1/4 cup warm water


2 eggs


4-3/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour


2 tablespoons butter, melted


1 tablespoon cornmeal


Directions:


1) In a large saucepan, combine milk, sugar, butter, cornmeal and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 5-8 minutes or until thickened. Cool to 110 to 115 degrees F.


2) In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cornmeal mixture, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).


3) Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.


4) Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with a clean kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.


5) Uncover rolls; brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake at 375° for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.



One Year Ago Today: Cranberry Glazed Roast Pork



Two Years Ago Today: Potato Soup



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy