Friday, September 27, 2013

Cherry Berry Fudge



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...As a child I was regularly scolded for the way I picked chocolates from a box. While I still consider it to be terribly unfair, we were expected to eat whatever we took from the box. I was about six years old when I learned a well-placed thumb in the bottom of a chocolate would assure that I didn't have to deal with the dreaded coconut or candied fruit that masqueraded as candy. As far as I was concerned, they were only a step or two above canned peas and any scolding I received was far better than having them cross my lips. I still have that aversion. The trouble is the Silver Fox does not. He loves both. Several years ago I found a really quick recipe for a chocolate and berry fudge that I make for him at this time of year. It is very easy to prepare and the type of dried fruit that is used to make it can be varied. He prefers cherry, but cranberries, blueberries or apricots can also be used. This is as straight forwarded as a candy recipe can get and if you enjoy the chocolate and fruit combination, you'll love the fudge. As for me, I find solace in turtles or chocolate covered caramels. Here's the recipe for a cherry berry fudge that's perfect for Valentine's Day.


Cherry Berry Fudge...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine


Ingredients:


2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips


1/4 cup light corn syrup


1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar


1/4 cup evaporated milk


1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1 package (6 ounces) dried cherries


1/3 cup chopped walnuts


Directions:


1) Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray. Set aside.


2) In a heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat.


3) Stir in confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until thickened and glossy, about 5 minutes. Stir in cherries and walnuts. Spread into prepared pan; refrigerate until firm.


4) Using foil, lift fudge out of pan; discard foil. Cut fudge into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/3 pounds (64 pieces).



One Year Ago Today: Turkey Meatballs with Lemon Yogurt Sauce



Two Years Ago Today: Marbled Sweetheart Sugar Cookies



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy