Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cauliflower and Walnut Cream Soup


This soup is an example of a dish I never would have made in the days before you joined me at the table. I did not like cauliflower and the pictures I had seen of soups made from it look bland and unappealing. Had it not been for one I was served while traveling, that would probably still be the case. I liked that soup well enough to look for recipes that would allow me to duplicate it once I was home. I found one in a book called The Soup Bible. Their recipe used just five ingredients and was table ready in less than an hour. My readers, at the time, were looking for really easy recipes that could be prepared quickly. I thought this would be perfect for them if it passed the taste test. I set to work and prepared the soup, following specifications to a tee, save for the fact that I used brown chicken stock to make it. I had no clear broth in the house and decided to go with what I had, rather than make a market run. That proved to be a mistake, not from a taste perspective, but because of the color it gave the soup. It should be creamy white and mine was beige. Bob and I each had a bowl of it and despite the color, thought it was great. I decided to hold off on pictures until I had the morning light, so I poured the soup into a container, gave it a good stir and put it in the refrigerator for the night, never thinking that the paprika, that had been used as a garnish was now incorporated into the soup. The next morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed, I got ready to photograph my creation, only to find the beige soup of the previous evening was now verging towards brown on the light spectrum. I never posted the recipe, but I thought the sight of my brown cauliflower soup might bring a smile to your face, so here it is. The recipe is sound and I think you'll enjoy the soup, if you use a clear broth and remember not to stir paprika into it before it's served. Here's the recipe.


Cauliflower and Walnut Cream Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of The Soup Bible


Ingredients:


1 medium cauliflower


1 onion, chopped


2 cups chicken or vegetable broth


2 cups milk


1/4 cup walnut pieces + chopped walnuts for garnish


Salt and pepper


Paprika for garnish


Directions:


1) Trim cauliflower and break into small florets. Place cauliflower, onions and both into a large saucepan.


2) Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Simmer, covered, until cauliflower is soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add milk and 1/4 cup walnuts. Pour into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.


3) Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Return soup to saucepan and reheat. Sprinkle with paprika and walnuts. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.



One Year Ago Today: Kimpira Gobo - JapaneseBurdock



Two Years Ago Today: Guacamole


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Parmesan - Snappy Gourmet


Lazy Cauliflower Soup - Food and Feminism


Roasted Cauliflower Soup - The English Kitchen


Cauliflower Soup with Creme Fraiche - The Harried Cook


Curried Cauliflower Soup - A Spoonful of Thyme



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy